Raisins are a natural sweet treat but can trigger an allergic reaction in some individuals. It is vital to bear in mind that raisins are made of dried grapes. It is not considered as a common food allergen, but any food can instigate a reaction.
It is possible that an individual who is allergic to mold might end up with a reaction after eating raisins. It is best to set an appointment with a doctor to figure out the root of the symptoms.
Am I allergic to raisins?
An allergy to raisins arises once the immune system identifies the proteins as a threat. Antibodies are produced which fight off the substance. The antibodies initiate a chemical chain reaction all over the body that triggers the allergy symptoms.
What are the indications?
The indications of an allergic reaction to raisins is the increased level of histamine in the soft tissues. The presence of the antibodies triggers the release of histamine to protect the body.
It is important to note that the histamine causes the dilation of the blood vessels while the lungs constrict and there is increased production of mucus. These bodily changes can lead to nasal congestion, watery eyes, runny nose, wheezing, difficulty breathing, coughing, chest tightness, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, eczema, skin rashes, hives, heart rate changes and lightheadedness.
Once the root cause of the allergy has been determined, the doctor might suggest avoidance of all known allergens. If the individual accidentally ingested raisins or mold spores, an over-the-counter antihistamine can be taken to lessen the symptoms.
Other medications that can be used include pain medications, topical steroid creams and decongestants. Always consult a doctor first before using any medications.