Officers performed life-saving measures on an inmate who overdosed

27 October 2020
Comments: 0
27 October 2020, Comments: 0

The death of an inmate in the medium-security unit at Collins Bay Institution was due to a drug overdose. The inmate, identified as Shane Elliott Gammie, 35-year old, died on Saturday.

Gammie was serving a sentence of 5 years, 9 months, and 15 days on convictions from breaking and entering firearm use, and possession of drugs for trafficking. The family was informed of his death.

Dangers of overdose

Based on a news release, the Correctional Service Canada did not clearly state how Gammie died, citing the Privacy Act but the police and coroner’s office were notified.

The officers on the scene gave information that he died from a suspected drug overdose. This latest death comes after an increasing incident in overdose deaths from illicit drugs laced with fentanyl entering Collins Bay Institution.

Immediate delivery of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) can save a life.

As for the incident involving Gammie, 2 officers discovered him unresponsive in his cell during a routine walk through the unit. Several officers responded to the scene and delivered first aid CPR. It was a traumatic scene because he was vomiting while performing CPR. The officers tried naloxone, CPR, and a defibrillator. They continued with the task until the paramedics arrived on the scene.

Enroll in a first aid class today

Immediate delivery of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) can save a life. This life-saving technique significantly improves the chances of survival during emergencies.

For more information about this story, click here.


Learn how to help by enrolling in a first aid class and for more information, check out these sources:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *